Factory reset in tech devices like android, iPhone, and laptops is a software procedure of wiping all third-party added data like applications, images, videos, recordings etc of the device’s storage.
It’s also could be a solution to freezing, devices not coming up even when the battery is fully charged, or the device running slow.
Another time people turn to this procedure is when ownership is about to change. It’s used to clear all user data in the device when intended for sale, donations, or gifts.
Before resetting, it’s advisable to back up relevant information, data, files, business contacts, business transaction files, ongoing and intending projects, appointment schedules, and meeting dates. Consider your photos, music list, downloaded movies, games, work files, and installed files, look through them, and consider which you want to back up.
A factory reset can be done by accessing the ‘setting’ of the device. Go to ‘system’ and reset options will be displayed; it can display ‘erase all data, which is the factory reset.
To reset a laptop, start at the down part of the laptop screen, click ‘setting,’ then click ‘update and security and tab ‘recovery.’ You can follow the instructions that display to reset.
While factory rest has been used to solve basic issues with these devices, could there be disadvantages to using factory reset for phones and laptops? Let’s look at the disadvantages associated with a factory reset.
Disadvantages of factory reset in Android, iPhone, and laptop
- At times factory reset only makes the device continue functioning temporarily; if a faulty issue is not diagnosed with the device, it will later revert to not functioning. Factory reset does not clear off all software issues.
- Without backup, factory reset deletes all user dates and files. Crucial files are lost in resetting the device to its original state. Ensure you back up relevant and wanted information.
- Frequent resetting is not advisable. When a factory reset is done multiple times, it might damage the device due to the effect it has on the flash device; it can cause wear and tear on the flash device.
- An uncompleted factory reset or interrupted reset can damage your device’s software. When reset is stopped before completion, your device might not come up, and you will need professional help to fix it.
- It removes the operating system, and you must start setting up everything again.
- Factory reset consumes battery, so a factory reset regularly makes your battery lose power, which will lose the power storage capacity of your device battery.
- Hardware components may be damaged if resetting takes too long to run because resetting consumes high power, which puts hardware components at high temperatures. Prolong factory resets, and multiple factory resets can harm hardware components.
- Laptops can take more resets than android, tablets, and iPhones, but even if it’s unusual done regularly to fix up the laptop for every faulty issue, it can wear down the hardware.
- For laptops, it will also be software issues. If the internet connection is interrupted and reset made to stop, the operating system will start to malfunction.
A lover of tech.